Tuesday, 12:30 am - Chicago's North Loop.
Three German college boys walk behind me on a narrow sidewalk with sophomoric swaggers. One darts forward to peek under my cap, past my deep blue hood. Darts back, laughs. I hear the chatter of a language I know just well enough to pick out bits here and there. A word something like "androgyne" pops out and slaps me like a sticky wet ball of tissue. I tense a little but don't walk any faster; a tiny part of me is grinning in anticipation, waiting for a shove, wanting to get into it, to make it real, to know I'm alive and I'm me and to prove to the assholes they don't control me. More chatter behind me and one eggs his buddy on, in English this time.
"Go for it."
A pause, and I'm relieved and let down all and once that he doesn't touch me, doesn't make it more personal, but he calls out loud enough I know it's meant for me.
"Hey, man, can you feel your balls? CAN YOU FEEL YOUR BALLS?"
A dozen beginnings to clever comebacks pop into my head as I roll my eyes, but witty banter has never been my forte. I raise my right hand instead, never breaking stride, and flip the guy and his buddies and any more sophomoric swaggering cocks who might be nearby a deep, silent, heartfelt Fuck You. He calls again.
"Oh, a tough guy, huh?"
A smile creeps its way unbidden to my face as I descend the steps to the Red Line.
Yeah. Tough guy.
And then I got on the subway and wrote that down.
3/17/09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment