6/11/09

Further thoughts on that submission post for Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation

Here.

I'm thinking seriously about submitting something to this anthology. This is in part because it's a platform for voices to be heard by wide audiences: the original Gender Outlaw is one of those books that sometimes appears as the (or one of the) Token Trans book(s) in mainstream bookstores. There are two problematic aspects of the submission post and its comments that I've seen, which I see as two opportunities. Yes, I am an incurable optimist. Whut.

1. There's this comment thread that really makes me want to get non-North-American trans voices into this anthology. I fear Mr. Bergman is being a bit "Gosh! Really? Should we? Okay!" about it. So if anyone felt like spreading this around to gender variant writers you know that aren't in the US and Canada, that'd be neat.

2. There's also a discussion further up about whether or not it's okay for Mr. Bergman to use the word "trannie" in this submission post, and whether he should retract it and apologize to those who abhor it. Feelings are hurt, people get upset, the OP is sort of understanding but in the end brash and unapologetic... it's another day on the internet.

Rather than boycott the anthology, which is one approach, I am filled with a desire to do what I can to actually give the collection some trans perspectives that may be different (or new) to those of the organizers: because I choose to take bearsir at his word that this is what he wants, and hope that it is true. It's the cold marketing soul in me, you see -- I may not think that the editors are the most awesome things ever with absolutely no flaws, but they're doing a good and important thing and they have the connections to make this important thing available to lots of people.

Also at the end of the day, Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman are people I can admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment